History

HISTORY of the BUILDING
The United Baptist Church of Digby is affiliated with the Convention of Atlantic Baptist Churches. Our church building was erected in 1876 by a Reformed Episcopal congregation at a cost of $7000. The group had split from nearby Trinity Anglican Church. The congregation gradually dwindled and after a brief interlude of summer use by the Presbyterians, the building was for sale. The Baptists, who were worshipping in a small Queen Street meeting place, purchased it in 1885 for $2000. The structure was once adorned with a stately steeple, but this was removed many years ago due to safety concerns. The church hall, originally a separate building, was completed in 1899 and the kitchen was added in 1944 along with the parlour and Sunday School rooms on the north side. In 1965, the choir room and three additional rooms were added, joining the hall to the main church building. In 1924, a Casavant pipe organ was installed at a cost of $3810 and in 1970, this instrument was reconditioned and a new electric console replaced the older model. A new baptistery was completed in 1973. A church office was built in 1974 and was entirely renovated in 2008. The church parking lot was paved in approximately 2005 and since then there have been repairs and renovations to the tower, roof and siding.

Leave a Reply